For a fascinating glimpse into the very heart of Hindu Maharashtra, walk around the Pune Kasba (market-town) which tells us the story of the Maratha empire, and its growth under Shivaji and the Peshwas. The area is primarily Hindu, dotted with several temples and wadas (large traditional homes) of historical significance. The old traditions are still strong; the pace of life is still slow and beautiful. In crazy contrast, the same neighbourhoods also have noisy and colourful mandais (markets) with shops selling everything under the sun.
On this Tour:
• Assemble at Shaniwarwada where you will be introduced the history of Poona and the way of life under the Maratha Empire.
• At the temple of Kasba Ganpati, see the patron deity of Pune.
• See Nana Wada, the estate of Nana Phadnavis, chief administrator of the Peshwa rulers of Pune, which now houses a school.
• See Lal Mahal, Chhatrapati Shivaji’s home.
• At Tulshibaug, see the tall shikara of this traditional Vaishnavite temple and observe the homes and shops inside the temple courtyard, also selling women’s costume jewellery and knick-knacks.
• At Jyotiba Phule Mandai, experience the vibrant bustle of Pune’s largest covered market selling vegetables, fruits, prayer paraphernalia, utensils, clothes and many other things.
• Visit Bangle Sellers Lane, adjacent to Jyotiba Phule Mandai, to see traditional bangle shops.
• At Burud Ali, see Pune’s community of basket makers.
• See Vishrambaug Wada, built by the last Peshwa Baji Rao II as a house of leisure.
Duration of the Tour: 2 hours