In this tour:
Go on a cultural exploration of Pune to trace its complex and layered historical influences through its various periods as listed below.
Early Hindu Period (90 BC-1295 AD)
• Visit one of the oldest evidences of Hindu civilisation in Pune - the 8th century Pataleshwar Rock Temple built by the Rashtrakuta dynasty.
Muslim Period (1295–1720)
• See the Dargah of Shaikh Salla, built during the early years of Muslim rule when Islam made its first appearance in Pune.
• Pass by the Lal Mahal, the site where Shivaji lived (a modern construction exists here today).
• Visit Kasba Ganpati Temple, now housing the presiding deity of the city, which was established by Shivaji’s mother.
Maratha Period (1720–1818)
• Visit Shaniwar Wada, the outstanding fortress built by the first Peshwa Baji Rao I.
• Visit the Kelkar Museum, for fascinating insights on daily Maharashtrian life in the past.
• Visit Tulshi Baug and Jyotiba Phule Market to see Hindu life in present-day Pune.
British Period (1819–1947)
• Visit the British Cantonment area to see the administrative buildings, military areas and markets that came up during the British Raj.
• Drive past several places associated with the Jews, Bohras and Parsis who made Pune their home.
• Visit the Aga Khan Palace, where Gandhiji spent 21 months under house arrest. The palace houses a small Gandhi museum, as well as memorials to his wife Kasturba and personal secretary Mahadeobhai.
Total Tour Time: 6-8 hours