Chennai is a melting pot of Indian, British and Portuguese heritage. This tour takes one through the history of Tamil Nadu’s capital and gives a glimpse of an ideal relaxed evening of Madrasis (residents of Chennai) at the promenade.
• Visit San Thome, Chennai’s famous basilica containing the remains of the Apostle St Thomas.
• Driving through a section of the beach consisting of old fishing villages we get a glimpse of how the city looked in its early days.
• Visit the popular Light House having excellent views of the surroundings (you can skip this if there are long queues).
• Walk through Fort St George, the first British fortress in India, where we see St Mary’s Church – India’s oldest surviving British church which houses the reminders of Clive and Elihu Yale, the Governor of Chennai who later founded Yale University.
• See the Fort Museum’s interesting collection depicting the East India Company’s tenure.
• See various other historical buildings and sculptures along the Marina Promenade, before spending some time relaxing on the beach to enjoy the colourful stalls.
Duration: 4 hour Car Tour