Swift and all beautiful art thou, O Sūrya, maker of the light,
Illuming all the radiant realm
- Hymn to the Sun God, from the Rig Veda
As dawn breaks in the Holy City of Varanasi, it illuminates the ancient ghats built on the banks of the Holy Ganges and covers the city in a pious glow. The Old city has a fascinating array of markets, temples, Ghats and what not, that takes one back various centuries.
On This Tour:
• Take a 45-minute boat ride from Dasashwamedh Ghat during which the guide will introduce you to the history of Varanasi, the morning rituals in the city and the special features of the various ghats that we pass along the way.
• Alight from the boat at Manikarnika, the burning ghat where the dead are cremated and see the various activities and professions related to the religious death ceremonies, while having all your questions answered.
• Stop by Manikarnika Kund, a small sacred water-tank.
• Walk through narrow lanes, into the very heart of the city, towards Varanasi’s most famous pilgrimage site, the Kashi Vishwanath Temple (Golden Temple).
• Meander through lanes dotted with small shrines, residences, tea-shops and lodgings for pilgrims, watching daily life unfold.
• If interested, stop at the Satua Baba Ashram, where scriptures are taught in Sanskrit to young men.
• Visit the Kashi Vishwanath and the Annpurna Temple.
• Visit the colourful Phool Mandi (Flower Market), and get astounded by the vibrancy and bustle of the market early in the morning.
Total duration: 3-4 hours