The by lanes of Varanasi are just as famous as its temples – celebrated in mainstream songs, Varanasi is a city of winding alleys with bustling markets, each specialising in something. The bazaars are at their colourful best in the evening and best explored on foot and by cycle-rickshaw. The best way to end an evening in Varanasi is at Dasashwamedh Ghat, where you can watch priests perform the evening prayer to the Ganges.
On this Tour:
• See the Town Hall (Maidagin), of the Holy city of Varansi.
• Walk through a colourful fabric and saree market to visit a Goshala (a charitable sanctuary for stray cows), where you can understand more about why Hindu’s revere the “sacred cow” and see how Varanasi’s bovine inhabitants are cared for.
• Take a cycle-rickshaw ride through the main market thoroughfare of the city to reach Chowk.
• Walk around the wedding market (Kinari Bazaar), Kachori Galli (lane of kachoris, these are deep-fried snacks very popular in Varanasi), Khoa Galli (this lane sells milk products), Vishwanath Galli (the most famous lane in Varanasi) and view the daily life of the city’s inhabitants.
• At Dasashwamedh ghat view the evening Ganga Aarti, where the throng of people, the festivities, the fires and the beauty of the ghat leave you awed.
Total Duration: 3-4 hours.